Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Kiely takes New York!

First day in New York, Blakely Hotel

Victoria, Sydney, Lexi, and I at Rockefeller Center!

Taking class from Finis Jhung at Alvin Ailey studios

Night out on the town.
Watching American Ballet Theatre perform Cinderella.
We saw Ethan Stiefel from the movie Centerstage!

9/11: Never forget.


Hey everyone! My mom asked me to write a blog post about my New York trip this summer, it's a little late but oh well! So every year my ballet teacher interviews the dancers at our studio to take on an educational trip to New York. Three other seniors (Victoria, Lexi and Sydney) and I were chosen to go this past summer! We took the red-eye flight from Sacramento to JFK airport in New York, which was a pain....no sleep. Our shuttle driver played that Frank Sinatra song about New York as we were driving in, it was the perfect entrance! The first day we checked into the Blakely hotel, and then went out to Rockefeller Center for dinner. By the way, a lot of restaurants there do not have Root Beer! We didn't take dance classes the first day but every single other day we were in the studio. We took all of our classes at the Steps on Broadway studio, except we took one class at Alvin Ailey. We took ballet, jazz, floor barre, broadway, pilates, and lots more. There was so much to learn! There were some scary teachers....dance teachers think they are always right and aren't afraid to let it be known. These classes were an opportunity to dance to live music, experience new teaching styles, and compare my talent to professional dancers' talent. It definitely motivated me to work harder and focus on specific areas of my dancing. But the trip wasn't all hard work...we went out to a fancy dinner every night and I was able to try a lot of different foods. We watched Memphis the musical, which I highly recommend!! Also, we watched American Ballet Theatre perform Cinderella. Other activities included: a tour of Grand Central Station, a tour of Lincoln Center, Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, 9/11 memorial, Saks 5th Avenue, legendary New York Macy's store, St. Patrick's cathedral, Hudson River, Central Park, Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, TIMES SQUARE, and lots of walking! I enjoyed this trip SO much! I LOVE NEW YORK!
Love always, Kiely

No comments: